Monday, December 8, 2008

blog #195 >> Gingerbead Houses: Part 1

Over the years I've made a lot of ginger bread houses. The first year we made one from a kit and after that, it was all from scratch. I trace out a pattern, measure it out, make the dough, roll them out, cut them out, bake the pieces 'til they're nice and hard, let them cool, make the icing, pipe it around the walls, let them dry, add the roof, let it dry, and decorate with a variety of tasty treats. By the time I'm done I have a massive, delicious, edible, candy-cookie house. I don't have all my pictures here. I'm missing my first gingerbread house. That one's at home and I'll post it in Part 2. And I'm missing a photo of the gingerbread church I made with hard-candy-stained-glass windows baked in. Then I added a light to shine through them. And the only picture I could find of the Hobbit gingerbread house was much too blurry, so I'm not going to post that one. These were all before the days of digital photography so the close ups aren't as good as today's pictures. Anyhow... here they are!
T






4 comments:

Mary Kelly said...

*eats them all*

muahahaha

Ruskin said...

Oh how wonderful! We have just spent the day making a ginger house. It took us six hours from the bike ride to get the ingredients to the finishing touches. I wonder how long these take. Magmificent!

Leingang Family said...

They are more beautiful than I remembered. I don't think that anything we make will be as nice. But we did get some ideas! How did you do the base for your Hobbit hole? Didn't you bake it on an upside down bowl?

Theresa Rohrer said...

For the Hobbit hole I used two semi-circles for the front and back sides. And roofed it with rectangles about 2" wide by 9" long. And I made the top ones come out at an angle like a porch. Then I cover the whole thing with green tinted shredded coconut for grass.
T