Wednesday, February 11, 2009

blog #241 >> I Heart Meringue Cookies


If I were feeling better, I would have dyed them pink, and drizzled melted chocolate on them. And I would have shaped them better and been more careful about letting the batter rest before baking, etc. etc. etc. But I'm not feeling better and I really wanted to eat some cookies, but didn't want to go up to the store. So, Fix-It and Forget-It Cookies it was. They're pretty tasty.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Beat 2 egg whites (old eggs work best) until stiff.
Add a dash of salt
Gradually add a scant 3/4 cup sugar to egg whites.
Fold in 1 cup mini chocolate chips (I just chopped up regular chocolate chips.)
and 1 cup chopped nuts (which I left out entirely.)
Do not over mix.

Spoon, or pipe batter onto cookie sheet covered in foil.
I wish I had covered the top with foil as well to prevent cracking.
As soon as you put the cookies in the oven, leave the heat on only 2 minutes then turn the oven off. Best to leave in closed oven overnight. But then can be eaten in 3 hours, but best to leave overnight. From the kitchen of: Betty Jo Champion Simpkins

T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I might just have to try this recipe! Looks good. LM