Friday, August 28, 2009

blog #319 >> You say tomato...

I say tomata, let's call the whole thing off.

I really wish I liked tomatoes. I like ketchup, I like tomato soup, I like spegitti sauce, I like stewed tomatoes, I even like them sliced up on sandwiches. But I can't bring myself to just eat a plain old tomato... eh, they make me gag. I tell myself I should like tomatoes, they're like strawberries, small red, with little green stems. But really tomatoes are NOTHING like strawberries. And I think homemade ketchup will be the final resting place to many of these tomatoes. Homemade ketchup is completely different from the stuff you buy in the store. And I haven't had any in years.


Beef steak variety.

Cherry tomatoes, which also taste nothing like cherries.


I actually really do like these little guys. Maybe because they look and taste so little like regular tomatoes. I like to roast them with a little salt and pepper and add them to salads.

Also, the Swiss chard is finally doing well, only I'm at a complete loss as to how to cook it. If anyone has any good chard recipes please send them to me!




I think I'm going to try planting a fall crop of lettuce, spinach and peas this year. I'm excited to see how they turn out.
T

No comments: