Saturday, December 26, 2009

blog #369 >> Christmas Gift Guide 2009

I love how well my family and friends know my taste. They are so good at picking out presents for me! I love everything I got. And I was VERY impressed with the number of second hand and handmade gifts this year. They're always some of the best. Thanks everyone for everything! Merry Christmas... well day after Christmas!
















1. Silicone baking sheet: from Mom and Dad
I've never seen a silicone bake sheet like this one. It actually has a wire rim along the outside of it so you can use it with, or without a cookie sheet underneath it. I'm excited to try it out!
2. A canner of my very own: from Mom and Dad
I'm so glad my mom thought to get me this. If Christmas were in August, I would have thought to ask for one, but I don't think about canning much in December. Last summer all of my sisters and I decided to start canning at the same time and that lead to a waiting list to use my mom's old canner. But next year, I can can whenever I like, now that I have my very own.
3. A water bottle: from Mom and Dad
Yes! I will no longer need to fill up an old mason jar with drinking water or waste money on "mountain spring" bottled water that comes from a tap. Now I can just fill this handy bottle up and go on my way.
4. Fruit wreath Jell-O mold: from The Leingangs
I love this Jell-O mold so much, that I bought myself one just like it years ago at the Goodwill. I think this is telling me that I may have accumulated too many Jell-O molds, but perhaps there is no such thing. Now I'm trying to decide what to do with this one. I have been toying with the idea of starting a "Joys of Jell-O" vintage etsy shop, and selling all sorts of Jell-O molds and Jell-O cookbooks and Jell-O gift packages and Jell-O recipe cards... Perhaps this will be the first item in the shop.
5. Grandma's old flour sifter: from Grandma
I've needed a real four sifter for awhile. I had to borrow my mom's last time I made macaroons and the time before that I had to force everything through my little tiny sieve, which is now a rusty mess. It's amazing how these old ones never seem to get rusty. They must be made from better metal.
6. Movie package: from Rick and Susie
Popcorn, candy, black and white flicks? I guess I'll be having a movie night. And you can never go wrong with the old black and white films... Cary Grant... sigh.
7. Grandma's Cookie Cookbooks: from Grandma
I love these old cookie recipes, and the best part about them is that they all call for REAL butter. I HATE cooking with unsalted butter. And now I will automatically boycott any recipe that has it in it. These little cookbooks include: Gift Box Butter Cookies, which contains instructions on how to make a gift box out of cookies and recipes for cookies to fill it with. Old World Cookies, cookies just like your grandma's grandma used to make. Betty Crocker's (the Martha Stewart of the past) Holidays on Parade, cookie and cake recipes for every holiday. I also wonder if I could still use this coupon for 7¢ off Peter Pan Peanut Butter, it doesn't have an expiration date that I can see. And The Butter Cookie Cookbook (have a Butter Cookie Baking Bee.) Why don't people have baking or knitting bees anymore? I would LOVE to attend one.
9. The Knee Highs Kitting Book: from Amy, Frank and Ada
I can't wait to try some of these, plus, I want those shoes!
8. The Greater Jell-O Recipe Book: from Mom and Dad
The older the Jell-O recipe book the grosser the recipes. This 1931 Jell-O book includes: The Rice and Fish Loaf with lemon Jell-O, chili sauce, cooked flaked fish, cooked rice, green pepper, stuffed olives, and onion. And Piquant Tongue Loaf with lemon Jell-O, vinegar, onion juice, boiled tongue, dill pickles and mayonnaise. mmmm.... I love reading these....
9. Sham WOW! from Mom and Dad
WOW! A small piece of America that I can keep for my very own. I'm actually very curious to see how this is going to work. It looks like a giant piece of felt. If that's all it is, I've got a lot of these laying around. And I can always listen to the Sham WOW song while trying it out.
10. Pie Bird:from Mom and Dad
Yeah! Now I can bake a pie, without it boiling over. And he'll look very sweet sitting on my shelf above my oven in the mean time.
11. Green Beaded Necklace: from Frank and Amy and Family
This will be perfect for my future career as a Kindergarten teacher. Plus, it's made with such cute vintage fabric!
12. Tea Cup Earrings: from Mom and Dad
I love these earrings! They're so cute, I can't wait to wear them!
13. Pink Vintage Dress: from The Dorrs
This dress reminds me of one Grandma Ide used to wear. And it's so adorable, I'm wearing it right now. Only I wish I could put my hair up in a bouffant. It needs a bouffant.
14. Japanese Duck Eraser: from Santa?
I didn't know the elves shopped in Japan...
15. Magnet: from Mom and Dad
16. Atomic Robot: from The Leingangs
He's going to be so happy to be on the Christmas tree next year. I just hope he doesn't blow it up with his x-ray lasar eyes.
17. Sock Darner: from Mom and Dad
Now I can darn my socks even faster. I'm going to have to have a sock darning day.
18. Fruit Jell-O molds:from Mom and Dad
Next, I'm going to make an entire fruit basket filling with sparkling Jell-O molds.
19. Light up knitting needles: from Mom and Dad
From now on I can knit day and night, with or without electricity. Nothing will stop me!
20. Vintage Christmas Cards: from Grandma
Don't throw your vintage cards away without asking me first! I'll save them!

Thanks again, everyone for everything!
T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're very welcome! We love you!
Happy New Year! Mom and Dad