Monday, February 22, 2010

blog #385 >> A Weekend of Sewing

For some strange reason, all I really wanted to do this weekend was sew, and I got a lot of sewing accomplished. However, I've decided that I CANNOT buy any more sewing supplies. This means I need to find projects to sew with the materials I already have, and since I have a lot, this shouldn't be too hard. It might become difficult when I run out of zippers, and biased tape, but I'm not near there yet. Plus, I have a feeling I'll be making my own biased tape before this is over... or give in and buy biased tape. This has also forced me to organize what I've got. I discovered all kinds of lace, vinyl and fabrics in my basement that I didn't even realize I had, which lead me to all kinds of new ideas. Also, I've found that working within boundaries forces creativity. Normally, where I would just go out and by a zipper, I can create an elaborate button system, or where I usually would resort to hem tape, I can use some left over lace. The possibilities are endless.



This is the tunic I sewed using part of this pattern. Mostly, I loved the shape of the sleeves and how they button. It was going to be a dress, but I didn't have enough fabric, so I decided to make a shirt to go with the skirt below instead.




And this is the black skirt I sewed to go with the tunic above. Unfortunately, I varied the pattern I usually use, and I made it about three sized too big. Either I'm going to give it away or if I can bring myself up to it, I'll just alter it. However, I'm really not looking forward to altering it after I spent over an hour hand stitching the hem. Normally, I try it on a couple of times before I finish. But I was trying to hurry, so I could start my new laptop bag.




This is the new laptop bag I made out of some random vinyl in my basement and a bit of ancient red upholstry velvet left over from my parents 1920's couch. It is perfect. Except, if I ever make another one, I'm going to add a couple more pockets. I'm very excited to start using it. Plus, I got to borrow my dad's upolstry machine. It's not very fancy. It doesn't do any fancy stitches, it does have a zig-zag setting, and it won't even go backwards. But it does go forwards, and it does that one thing VERY well. It works like a well oiled machine. Well, it IS a well oiled machine. It literally sits in a VAT of oil. It's like sewing on a Corvette. It wants to GO! You can just hear it humming and singing, "I want to sew more!" as you're using it. It's kind of a fun machine to sew on, but I wouldn't want to sew a dress on it.

And next time Jo-Anns has their Simplicity patterns on sale for $1, I've got to buy this one!



...I don't think my vow to not buy anymore sewing supplies is going to last very long.

Cheers!
T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are very brave to have used that sewing machine! It looks frightening to me! Nice work. LM