Tuesday, June 14, 2011

blog #471 >> My New Specs


At last! They're here!
Originally, when I got my eyes checked, I hadn't planed on getting a second pair of glasses. I knew I wanted to use my grandma's old frames again for my primary pair, and then I thought I'd use my old prescription for my second pair. But it turned out that in the last three years, my vision had gone downhill fast! When I went in, I couldn't even read the third line on the chart. I honestly had no idea I was that blind. I've known for awhile that I needed new glasses. I noticed I couldn't read street signs unless I was right on top of them. And I noticed I couldn't read the clock in the lunch room from where I always sit anymore. But now I realize, I should have gotten my eyes re-checked three years ago. Last time I went in, they told me I didn't need glasses at all! I knew that was wrong at the time. I was wearing a really light prescription for nearsightedness then, so I thought I'd give it a try. I went without them for about a day, and soon realized they were wrong. I needed those glasses. Right then, I should have made an appointment elsewhere, but I didn't. Instead I waited three years, and now there's a huge difference between my old glasses and my new glasses. When I got my grandma's old frames back with the new lenses I walked all the way home shouting, "wow... Wow... WOW! WOW!!! WOOOOWWWW!!!!" People must have though I was mad, and maybe I was momentarily. But mostly I was just amazed at how detailed the world really is, I had forgotten how clear everything is suppose to be.

Anyhow, my original plan for using my old pair as a second pair was soon vanquished. And it was soon time to pick out a new pair of frames. I thought about using one of my many vintage cat eye frames, but I kinda wanted something different. I've worn thick plastic vintage frames since high school, and I sort of wanted my second pair to be completely different from my usual. That's when I saw these in the case at Asterix Eyewear.* It was love at first sight. I tired on a few other pair of wire rims. But I knew these were the ones I wanted. My mind just kept on turning back to them. I loved the shape, the size, the way they fit on my head. But most of all I loved how the wire curves around at the ear. It reminds me of glasses from the 20's. Then I noticed the price tag... EEEKK!!! I have to admit, that it did quench the fires of my heart for a time. But then I saw them again when I picked up my old pair, and remembered how wonderful they were. I would say I am too poor, and could never afford them... but that wouldn't exactly be true. It's true that I don't make much money, and there have been times when things have been extremely crunched, but I'm an excellent saver. The truth would be to say that I am frugal, and don't like to spend money on unnecessary things. I also don't like to buy expensive things. The cheap version is (in most cases) good enough for me. I have lots of nice things, it's true, but I didn't pay a lot for them. I search and dig, I stalk the second hands stores, and rarely buy anything new. That's why these glasses were such a jump for me. It's not normally something I would do. I cringe to think that I could have bought this or this for about the same price. I think I'm still getting over the sticker shock of it all. But it was love. And there's no use fighting against it. Right now I want to wear them. But I can't really see them when they are on my head, so instead I have them sitting next to the laptop so I can admire their beauty. Wow, I love these glasses.

*Asterix Eyewear has some of the best frames in Portland! They are also awesome about fixes and repairs. I highly recommend them. My family and I have been using them for years.

2 comments:

Trina said...

Those look soooooo cute on you!!!! :)

Theresa Rohrer said...

Thanks!
I only wish they were more silver. They looked silver at the store, but now that I have them home, I think they're more of a nickle. But that's alright, they're not quite gold either. They're strange, they pick up the light from whatever they're around. But I am sooo not used to them yet! I'm not used to wearing wire rims... I keep on seeing something shiny in the corner of my eye. "ooooh, shiny thing!" It's like I can't focus on what's in front of me. I need to put my fingers around my eyes for a second and focus forward. Then I can ignore them again. But I'm sure we'll get used to each other yet. :)