Saturday, August 27, 2011

blog #483 >> Classic Films

(In which I prove I am a hopeless romantic and sentimentalist.)

Recently I read a post over at Puddles of Memories about her favorite Stars of the Silver Screen, which got me thinking, "I love the Silver Screen and classic movies of all types. I need to do a blog post about this." But instead of choosing my favorite actors and actresses, I went with a few of my favorite old movies. I had a hard time picking, but I settled on these ten, in no particular order:


(Anything with Charles Coburn and Jean Arthur together is pure brilliance! I LOVE all her clothes in this movie and her squeaky little voice never fails to make me laugh. She was wasted in the silent film era, and Charles Coburn is pretty awesome as well. I feel like "The Devil and Miss Jones" deserves honorable mention, although I didn't have it up here. It's been forever since I've seen it. It's hard to find. Movie Madness only has it on VHS and I don't even own a DVD player anymore. Curse technology!!!)

Rear Window: 1954
(This movie is like looking out the window at my apartment, but without the crazy murderer living next door part.)


To Kill a Mockingbird: 1962
(Excellent book too!)


Holiday Inn: 1942
(I know most people would pick "White Christmas" over "Holiday Inn." Good choice, but I definitely prefer "Holiday Inn." The 4th of July dance is pretty awesome, and I can relate with wanting to run away and start a farm. I'm not usually into the musical dancing movies, but this one is a classic. I also love "Shall We Dance." Best rollerskating dance routine ever, and "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" is a fantastic song.)


Desk Set: 1957
(Love and a giant computer, what more do you need in a movie?
Plus, Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn and such a great couple.)



Enjoy!
T

No comments: